Bookmark and Share

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Most Neglected Muscle In The Body





In 1987, during my first year in the biz of personal fitness training, I had an 18-year old client named Tim.




He was gung-ho at first. Showed up on time. Worked his arse off. Never complained.



Then, all of a sudden, after about five weeks, he started to miss workouts. Despite my "rah rah" talks with him his behavior didn't change. In fact, it got worse. Seven weeks into the program and he dropped out. No phone call. No explanation. Would not return my calls.



A couple years later, from "out of the blue" Tim called again. He wanted to come back.



Upon starting back up he explained that the reason he dropped out before was due to his problems with alchohol and drugs. Now that he was "clean and sober" - all was well. There weren't going to be any problems.



But ... true to form, despite giving up the booze and dope, five weeks into the program and Tim's behavior started to look the same. He missed a Monday workout - and showed up late on Wednesday
 
This time I gave no "rah rah" talk. I simply confronted Tim and asked him a number of questions about why he was missing sessions and coming late. Tim's response was as follows: "It's raining. I don't feel motivated when it's raining."




"What makes you think you need to be motivated?" I asked.



Tim had no answer for this one. It was sort of a brain-bender.



So I followed up with, "Which would you rather be - motivated or focused?"



Tim replied, "Focused."



"That's right," I said. "Now, what's more important to you, staying home when it's raining or getting your body in great shape?"



"Getting in great shape," said Tim



"Right again," I said. "Now, how about this. From now on, do me a favor: Whenever you come up with an excuse for why you don't want to train, I want you to ask yourself this question:



'What do I want most, to do 'X' or to get into great shape?'



If you do this, I think you'll always be focused."



Tim agreed to do as I requested. Six months later he was still with me. He never missed another workout. And he got into kick-butt shape.



Yes, I know what I just described seems simple. But the best things in life are just that: SIMPLE.



It all boils down, once again, to the questions you ask yourself: Do you WANT to get fit? Do you really, really, really WANT to get fit?



Questions focus your mind better than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share